question

Wayne avatar image
Wayne asked

Smart phoenix overheating.

Good day.

I purchased a smart phoenix inverter 12v/3000va which is connected to two lifepo4 12v 200ah batteries, smartshunt and raspberry pi running venus software.

I have not really used any large loads until today where I was running a hotplate which was pulling just over 2000va on the inverter.

After around 10 minutes I had an overheat alarm and shortly after the inverter shut down, on further investigation ive noticed no noise from the inverters built in cooling fan.

Do you think this may be the problem? I seem to remember a cooling fan running on my old 12v 2000va that I had before.

Thank you.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

3000va = 2400 w so ratting of your hotplate is ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

I was pulling 2000va.20230917-170009.jpg

Anyway I decided to take the front cover off and low and behold the positive cable to the fan was just rattling around in the case with a broken terminal.

Guess it'll have to go back, I have four years warranty left but would prefer a new one now as components obviously have been running hotter than normal.

2 |3000

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

So no response from the dealer in Germany, no response from victron support and I'm running offgrid on a small generator now with my wife and child.

I'm at a loss, I was hoping customer support was better.

I'm going to have to go down the route of finding a technician privately to put a simple spade terminal on and plug the fan positive wire back in.

Probably invalidate my remaining four year warranty but as noone is responding in the victron network I have no choice. :(

2 |3000

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

OK a private engineer has been out to see me, the positive cable connector wasn't broken it had been pushed out of the white plastic connector maybe during assembly when it was pushed on its terminals on the circuit board.

It took the engineer 10 minutes to correctly locate the positive wire back in its plastic housing, push it back onto its terminal and now the cooling fan is working, something I've never heard before and didn't realise it even had one.

I paid the guy to do this job but I'm very disappointed in victron and the dealer for failing to reply to emails, phone calls and support ticket.

I bought full victron kit because if their long warranty period, I'm afraid I have somewhat list faith in them now.

I will still see if either victron or the dealer ever do respond even though the inverter is now working correctly.20230919-144454.jpg

2 |3000