question

mivester avatar image
mivester asked

Quattro Precharge options

I have a bank of 8 100AH batteries hooked up to a 5KVA Quattro unit. When I first close the breaker connecting the Quattro to the batteries, they will go into short circuit alarm mode. I have found that this is probably due to the initial capacitor charge inrush. I am looking at an install that would not have any AC input, and what options would work best for this. It would be difficult to go to this location to deal with the battery error if this happens in the field, so is there a way that I can limit this initial inrush, or compensate in some way?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVictronConnectVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Mivester

Do you have solar?

The system will black start on its own with a bit of solar.

Ideally the inverter can be programmed to shut the inverter down before the batteries do/disconnect anyway. So there will be no need for a second precharge.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mivester avatar image mivester commented ·
There will be a solar setup, so that my be an answer for this. Do you know where it has the instructions for programming the inverter to do so? I want to make sure I have all the settings right for my use case.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mivester commented ·
Your would need to know your battery recommended charge voltages and discharge limits and go accordingly.

Setting up with Victron connect and an mk3 is the easiest. There is a resource box on this page with linked manuals.

If you download victron connect there is a demo library that lets you set up products to practice or experiment with options and explore.

Videos on YouTube as well Victron have an official channel.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There are a couple of pre-charge options. REC makes one that should work with any system. Victron's Smart BMS has one but it's an expensive option if that's all you need it for.

2 |3000

Dušan Klofutar avatar image
Dušan Klofutar answered ·

On my Multiplus 12/3000/120 i use resistor 100 ohms/10W fo about 5-10 sec, than connect main + cable without sparks/capacitor charge inrush...

2 |3000