question

sip avatar image
sip asked

Can I use victron smart shunt or Smart Battery Sense for batteries monitoring?

I have two lifepo4 12v 100ah batteries in series for trolling motor, victron battery balancer, 24v 35a charger and small generator for charging offshore. Also, 12v charger to balance batteries before connecting in series. I did not quite understand advice on similar topic, sorry.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@sip

It depends on what kind of monitoring you want.

State of Charge. Loads being drawn, how much charge it is taking etc - smart shunt. It monitors the entire bank. Permanent set up.

Smart battery sense - voltage and temperature. Can monitor each battery separately or as a bank. But very basic. Can be disturbed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trung avatar image Trung commented ·
Hi Alexandra

Can the Smart Shunt monitor solar DC yield per hour, day, week month for example? I have solar panels that are going into a hybrid inverter but, there is no monitoring data on the hybrid inverter and so something as an inline monitoring system would be very useful.

many thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
sip avatar image
sip answered ·

So, smart shunt with two temperature sensors, I guess

2 |3000

theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

With two Smart Battery Sense modules you can monitor both LFP batteries on their individual voltages and enclosue temperature.

If you want to monitor on a deeper level inside the batteries, then the batteries need to be equiped with an digital accessable BMS, like the Overkill BMS which you can monitor with the Overkill app.

2 |3000

sip avatar image
sip answered ·

3rd party unaccessable bms batteries can be very attractive, especially in series, now, I am in a trouble

2 |3000

waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·

we use both

they work fine

i see them on my VRM portal

2 |3000