question

Stephen Otto avatar image
Stephen Otto asked

3 panels in series vs 4 panels in series (SmartSolar 150/70)

I am preparing to finally install my solar panels on the roof of my van conversion. My battery is 24 volt. I have nine (9) 12 volt, 100 watt renogy mono panels and was planning to have a 3s/3p configuration However, I was reading through the manual of my smartsolar 150/70 and noticed that it states that while 3 in series will work, the highest recommendation is for 4 in series.

Is the efficiency with 4 in series so much better that it would be worth going with an 8 panel (2s2p) config and ditching one of my panels, instead of my originally planned 3s3p?

In other words, would I stand to get more from an 8 panel system than a 9 panel system?

MPPT ControllersSolar Panelsolarsolar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Stephen. Presumably your panels will be something like 22Voc. The difference you'd experience between 3x and 4x in a string (only really applicable in low light like dawn/dusk) would be so small as to be virtually immeasurable.

Stay with your 9 panels.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic