question

chrismcn avatar image
chrismcn asked

No BT signal from SmartShunt after removing dongle

I've been using the SmartShunt 500A with the VE.Direct BT Dongle for a couple of years now. I added the dongle because the shunt's BT signal was too weak to connect reliably between my Airstream's galley and the outside battery box where the shunt was located.

Now that I've moved the batteries inside I no longer want to use the dongle. But when I remove the dongle from the shunt, the shunt never shows up in the VictronConnect device list to allow me to pair it to my phone. The shunt also doesn’t show up under my phone’s list of in-range BT devices. But if I plug the dongle back into the shunt the dongle shows up in the VictronConnect device list and everything works fine. Seems like the dongle may have somehow disabled the shunt's native BT signal(?).

I've tried several obvious things already - deleting the dongle from my phone's list of BT devices; cleared the PIN on the dongle to reset to the default PIN; etc.

Any thoughts on how to wake up my shunt?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
heinphoto avatar image
heinphoto answered ·

Re-attach the dongle to the SmartShunt so that you can access the SmartShunt in VictronConnect. Then, access the Product Info screen by clicking the right-most icon at the top of the settings screen (the three vertical dots). The Product Info screen should show both the SmartShunt and the Dongle. If the SmartShunt Bluetooth is disabled, then re-enable it. You can then remove the dongle and the SmartShunt should still be present in VictronConnect.

victronconnect-smartshunt-productinfo-bluetooth.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrismcn avatar image
chrismcn answered ·

Thank you. That worked perfectly.

2 |3000