question

rubicon avatar image
rubicon asked

SmartShunt

I would like to use a SmartShunt. However, my batteries are located under my vehicle. Can the SmartShunt be placed inside appropriately 6-7 feet away from the batteries?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

As close to the battery is best.

SOC is based on current so this won't be affected but voltage will read slightly low under load due to voltage drop in the negative connection.

Victron now makes an IP65 rated SmartShunt which you could probably place in your battery box.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
I purchased the IP65 but thought placing the unit under the vehicle may be testing its limits. It would be subject to extreme heat and weather. Thoughts?
0 Likes 0 ·
Thomas Manthey avatar image
Thomas Manthey answered ·

If if is mechanically your faforit place, you should use between SmartShunt and battery a thicker cable to reduce the voltage Dropbox.

If you want to calculate this,use "wiring unlimitted" manual from victron to get a idea. There Arena tables you can direcly read the thumb vaues from.

2 |3000