question

dj-dulux avatar image
dj-dulux asked

Alternator options...

Customer boat with 120A or so alternator (TBC, but looks basic), originally feeding bank of lead acid. We are about to start the upgrade to lifepo4 and wondering if we just stick with 3 or 4 Orions in parallel or do somehting which would better intergrate into the Cerbo etc, been looking for options for days, but seems to be very few options?

This is using Pylontech batteries (12V/100Ah - 500Ah bank) with BMS.

Maybe an option to upgrade alternator if its a good solution, any thoughts?

Cheers,

Dupe...

Pylontechalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Wakespeed WS500 alternator regulator will interface to some extent with Cerbo GX, not sure if it will take commands from the Pylontech BMS though, it works with some BMSs. Would need the internal alternator regulator removing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dj-dulux avatar image
dj-dulux answered ·

@pwfarnell thanks for the info, I have seen the WS500 but it has a very poor small engine mode which means it doesn't work too well on a canal boat.

Also unless you have the victron batteries and the lync shunt I don't believe the WS intergrates very well and just feeds info to the Cerbo.

My current though is to use the Mastervolt Alpha Pro 3 and use NodeRed to trigger a relay when CCL ok to accept 140A or so?

Just need to see if I can do this in Nodered, other simple option is to use the SOC trigger on the Generator Starter feature, but that does risk batteries shutting down if something reducing CCL...

Cheers,

Dupe...

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
I have a WS500 lined up to fit on a canal boat, I thought that the pull back factor and idle rpm settings would allow good power management at idle, I'll see when I get around to fitting it. Ed Shiers at Four Counties Marine has fitted several.
0 Likes 0 ·
dj-dulux avatar image dj-dulux pwfarnell commented ·

I would have another word with Ed, if you have a big engine, Beta 50 it maybe better, but he still has some doubts. I believe he has changed a couple WS to Alpha Pro recently, but best to speak to him about your application. RVs and Vans seem no problems, but jumping on and off the boat at locks seems to make it struggle as engine revs all over the place. Interestingly the boat I am doing at the moment has hydraulic drive so I could probably get around the issue as engine rpm and propeller speed not related, but don't want to risk it.

If WS read and acted upon DVCC [CCL] then that would make me re-think... But I don't believe it can...

It seems the PID settings are not geat and unclear if they ever likely to update.

Cheers,

Dupe...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide