question

jwalt313 avatar image
jwalt313 asked

How to connect SmartShunt to 2-6 volt batteries in series

I only need % charge info to know when to charge my 2-6 volt acid batteries in series with my generator and when to turn off the generator when batteries are at 100%. I believe that I have the SmartShunt connected correctly for Bluetooth except for the 2 small red wires. Do I need to connect one small red wire from each battery’s + terminal to the SmartShunt or is only one small red wire necessary since the batteries are in series? I don’t understand if I need to set it up for the “midpoint” with 2 red wire connections or not.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

At a minimum you should have the positive supply for the shunt connected to the battery bank positive 12v. The second six auxiliary input pin on the shunt can be used for mid point voltage (optional) but you may prefer to use it to measure battery temperature.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@Jwalt313

Second red wire is optional

For temperature you need to get a sensor.

With a battery setup like this, make sure you have a decent absorption period in the charge cycle.

0 Likes 0 ·
jwalt313 avatar image
jwalt313 answered ·

Thanks for the quick responses. This is for my travel trailer batteries. 2 additional questions: 1. Is there an advantage to using it for a midpoint voltage? I won't be using it for temperature. 2. What is an "absorption period in the charge cycle"? Obviously, this is all new to me.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Mid point. Batteries in series can end up with different states of charge. Leads to eneven loading of the batteries/premature aging. Mid point monitoring will tell you if this has happened.

Decent chargers charge in three stages. Bulk, where the charge is current limited and battery voltage rises. Once voltage rises to absorption setting, batteries are at about 80-85% charged and the charger maintains a constant voltage. This goes on for quite a long period, filling the batteries completely and also helping to equalise the charge in both batteries. Once current drops sufficiently, charger switches to the third stage, float, voltage lowers to the float level, current is very low, so maintaing the battery at full charge.

2 |3000

cwagz78 avatar image
cwagz78 answered ·

I just purchased a SmartShunt for my 2 6v batteries in series. Does the midpoint actually work for 6v batteries? The manual seems to allude to 12v batteries minimum. I won’t have the unit for a few more days so I thought it would be good to ask.

Thanks!

2 |3000