question

robert-sinclair avatar image
robert-sinclair asked

Size of inverter

Hi need some help with what inverter i need I have a ice cream van been running a 2kw machine for a year no problem using a cheap powerjack 8000w 13000 peak inverter which was in the van already.i bought a new 1.8 kw machine but the inverter is struggling to kick the compressor in now would a 3000w 6000 peak victron inverter be enough or would I be better getting the 5000w one considering victron is more efficient than cheap Chinese inverters

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Startup power for compressors can be many times higher than rated running power -- is there any spec for this for the new "1.8kW machine"?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robert-sinclair avatar image
robert-sinclair answered ·

Trying to find out what compressor is in it

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Soft starters significantly reduce the compressor startup current. Might be worth looking into one. Might be able to keep your existing inverter or minimize the size/cost of a replacement. Your batteries also will need to support the surge current of the compressor so just increasing the inverter size might not be sufficient.

2 |3000