question

etienne-farrugia avatar image
etienne-farrugia asked

charging flooded lead acid starter battery and agm house bank with same charger

Is it possible to charge a flooded lead acid starting battery and an AGM house battery (separate banks) with one battery charger, since AGM and flooded batteries require different charging voltages?

battery chargingcharger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ingo21 avatar image ingo21 commented ·

You mean charge them at the same time??

or have a switch and charge one and then the other?

in theory you could do that, with the chargevoltage set to the lowest of the to batteries. which would mean one Batterie does not get fully charged.

since your starter battery probably do not need to be charged as often as your house battery i would go for a second "trickle" charger just for the starter battery to keep the starter battery charged.

0 Likes 0 ·
etienne-farrugia avatar image etienne-farrugia ingo21 commented ·

Since most modern VE chargers have separate banks for the starter battery and house battery banks I was wondering if any of these chargers would allow to have different charging settings on the different banks. Both under charging or over charging does not lead to happy consequences for the batteries, hence I was looking for a charger that would provide the correct voltage for each separate bank .

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Flooded batteries need a little stirring from the gas bubbles produced during charging to keep the acid from stratifying into different density layers.

Charging a flooded battery at AGM voltages will eventually lead to an unhappy battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You need to charge one battery from the charger, then charge the second battery from the first battery using an Orion DC:DC charger. This gives the different settings needed.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic