question

jhon avatar image
jhon asked

Connecting 2 x Phoenix 12/1200 inverters in parallel

i am writing to you about 2 x 12/1200 Phoenix inverters I wish to connect in parallel. One unit was purchased a few years ago and the second recently. I understand I need to update the firmware on one or both of the units before using the Victron configure software to connect the units in parallel using a Windows PC.

The first and older unit is presently running firmware version 2607154 VFD (HQ1524FDJRP) which I believe can be updated to the later firmware version which will allow it to pair with the newer unit which I intend to make the LEAD in the new installation.

The Lead inverter is running firm ware version 2607430 VFD (HQ 1841X7PK5)

I have successfully downloaded the Victron configure software including VE Flash and the necessary driver for the MK3 USB interface cable and have separately established connections between the 2 inverters and my PC running Windows 7.

I have also created a free Victron professional account on line and have checked the firmware available for the 12/1200 Phoenix inverters and have downloaded and stored the file on my computer.

I would assume that if I am following the correct procedure the firmware file I require is the one I have selected from the directory

Phoenix Inverter 12V 1200VA 230Vac 64k

phoenix_inverter_A271_v0x.xx.dup

If I also understand correctly the latest 400 version firmware installed on the Lead inverter will be compatible with the newer downloaded firmware version once installed on the Slave or number#2 inverter.

If you could kindly advise that i am on the right track and if I have overlooked anything before i proceed further it would be greatly appreciated

many thanks for any advice

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhon avatar image jhon commented ·

Just an update on my Phoenix inverter parallel connection project. I proceeded to attempt to initialise a firmware update on the older 12 v/1200 watt inverter using VE Flash and was rewarded with an error message regarding a corrupt file . The firmware file was the one i downloaded from https://professional.victronenergy.com/........... select firmware I had selected a file from Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct directory

Whereas it turns out i needed to select the file from VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros) directory.

It was necessary to find a firmware update which had the same first 4 digits as the firmware already installed on the inverter, in my case 2607154 VFD which i was able to update to one of the newer 400 versions , in my case 2607478

The second and newer inverter was running firmware version 2607430 VFD which i was also able to change to the 478 version . This may not have been necessary as i read somewhere the newer 400 version firmware programs are compatible with all other 400 versions but it was a straight forward action so i proceeded to install the same firmware on both units using VE FLASH.

I was then able to connect the 2 inverters in parallel using VE.Bus quick configure which enables users to connect up to 3 units. I was warned to save my settings on both units before installing the new firmware which i did using VE Configure 3.

The only thing i am struggling with now is how to access the settings on either or both inverters. I received a message from VE.Bus quick connect that i would be able to do this using VE configure 3 , but as yet i am still having troubles accessing this function but having said this both inverters are both performing well now 4 days in . I understand that all settings reverted to factory default on firmware update so I’m not too concerned at this stage but will update on this situation shortly.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
jhon avatar image
jhon answered ·

Just an update on my Phoenix inverter parallel connection project. I proceeded to attempt to initialise a firmware update on the older 12 v/1200 watt inverter using VE Flash and was rewarded with an error message regarding a corrupt file . The firmware file was the one i downloaded from https://professional.victronenergy.com/........... select firmware I had selected a file from Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct directory

Whereas it turns out i needed to select the file from VE.Bus (Multis, Inverters and Quattros) directory.

It was necessary to find a firmware update which had the same first 4 digits as the firmware already installed on the inverter, in my case2607154 VFD which i was able to update to one of the newer 400 versions , in my case 2607478

The second and newer inverter was running firmware version 2607430 VFD which i was also able to change to the 478 version . This may not have been necessary as i read somewhere the newer 400 version firmware programs are compatible with all other 400 versions but it was a straight forward action so i proceeded to install the same firmware on both units using VE FLASH.

I was then able to connect the 2 inverters in parallel using VE.Bus quick configure which enables users to connect up to 3 units. I was warned to save my settings on both units before installing the new firmware which i did using VE Configure 3.

The only thing i am struggling with now is how to access the settings on either or both inverters. I received a message from VE.Bus quick connect that i would be able to do this using VE configure 3 , but as yet i am still having troubles accessing this function but having said this both inverters are both performing well now 4 days in . I understand that all settings reverted to factory default on firmware update so I’m not too concerned at this stage but will update on this situation shortly.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhon avatar image jhon Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Guy, will check it out , cheers jhon

0 Likes 0 ·
gonzalor avatar image
gonzalor answered ·

HI @jhon did you solve your problem?. I have 2 phoenix compact 24/2000 and I want to use in parallel too. You have some manual for begginers?. thank you

2 |3000