question

rifter avatar image
rifter asked

Correct amp model of Orion Tr Smart

Hi, I want to fit an Orion Tr Smart B2B charger to charge an AGM leisure battery of about 220 AH in a Euro 6 Peugeot Rifter Car 2019. Please could anyone advise me what would be the suitable size for the Orion charge. I'm not sure what alternator I have other than on the car spec indicated (Euro 6 - 2019)

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The answer is it depends. Sorry.

Factors to consider apart from alternator size... How long do you drive. How quickly do you want to charge the battery. What is the recommended charge and max charge rate from the battery seller. How much battery do you use between charges. Other concurrent charging sources. Loads while charging.

In general you don't want the Orion to be the primary charger. They only work when the engine runs and if you're travelling short distances, even the bigger models will have little effect on a heavily discharged 220Ah battery.

That said, you will be looking at a 12/12 model (charge 12V from 12V). And charge current, the final number in the model number is the question. Personally I'd aim for one tenth of the battery capacity, so 22A for a 220Ah battery. Plus loads while charging, minus other charge sources. And assuming the alternator can handle the load with all its other loads, including lights.

You can add a second Orion in parallel later if you find you were too conservative. Assuming the alternator can handle it.

Hope this helps, I was quite surprised when I really thought it through for my van.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources