question

kimsails avatar image
kimsails asked

Installing Orion-Tr Isolated DC-DC Charger, 18A

I am Installing an Orion-Tr Isolated DC-DC Charger, 18A on a sailboat, using it to charge the Lifepo4 house bank from the starter battery while the engine is running.

Installation instructions say to install it close to the battery (which battery?).

The installation diagram in the instructions that matches my use case shows the DC-DC charger closer to the house bank than the starter battery. Is that correct?

Does the distance matter so long as I follow the wire gauge sizes per the length of the wire run as shown in the instruction chart?

Thanks,

Kim

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kimsails avatar image
kimsails answered ·

Also, I have solar panel MPPT controllers and a shore power AC-DC charger connected to the house bank through a reversed 65A Battery Protect in C-charge mode. Am I correct in understanding a DC-DC charger should *not* be wired through the battery protect, since the voltage on the starter battery will be less than the house Lifepo4 bank?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources