question

john-heath avatar image
john-heath asked

Quattro 15kw & 3rd Party Battery BMS

My system is still in the planning and acquiring stage, but I have already purchased my battery bank, that consists of 4 x Polinovel V8000 Lifpo4 wall batteries, that have their own BMS system, but as the batteries are still in production now, I have the choice of BMS protocol to be loaded onto the batteries.

I plan to use 1 x Victron Quattro 48/15000 Inverter charger and 4 x Victron Smartsolar 150/100 48v MPPT's and Cerbo GX & GX Touch 50.

My question(s) are, do I have the manufacturer load their own BMS protocol onto the batteries, and if so is it then possioble to configure the Victron equipment above to communicate and intergrate with the batteries BMS system?

Or, is it possible to have Victrons own BMS protocol loaded onto the Polinovel batteries by the manufacturer, if this is an option, what protocol do I/or the manufacutrer follow or how do I/they acquire the correct protocol or is this protocol the Interlectual Property of Victron and protected by Victron?

Or, is it not necessary for the battery BMS to communicate with the Victron Inverter and that the Victron MPPT's will take care of the correct charge and discharge rates of the batteries?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would suspect that to save yourself a heap of possible issues, maybe get the batteries with a standard BMS that already works with Victron systems or maybe have the cell voltages outputted to a separately marked plug outside the battery ,then install your own BMS ie TAO or Rec.

another way is to have a NC/NO relay output for a high trigger and another output for Low cell trigger.

Also make sure the BMS that installed is bluetooth accessible and programable. plus the above relay outputs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

For a large system you need a BMS that can work with whole ecosystem via the GX. All devices, from the mppt's to the inverter will use this to control charge/discharge.

You have chosen an unsupported battery. While the manufacturer can enable CAN for comms, there is no guarantee it will communicate to the GX, unless they have actually tested it or it can emulate a supported BMS.

Without a networked BMS, you will have a world of problems, so it really pays to design a system with a proven BMS, and there are many available.

It doesn't have to be CAN-based, there are some third party drivers for serial comms and other ways of integrating, but the less tested it is, the greater the probability of an unstable system.

Good luck.

(to add, support will be up to you and the supplier, victron won't support DIY/untested battery systems)

2 |3000