question

dieterdirk avatar image
dieterdirk asked

Multiplus 12/800/35 3rd Party Battery Pack/BMS

Hello there,

i have a question regarding the small multiplus units.
Is it possible to use a diy Lifepo4 Battery Pack (Eve lf280k) with it? I dont have a bms yet. But there is one by REC that supposedly is Victron compatible via GX and Canbus. Am i correct in assuming that it would work only with a third device CCGX, Venus or Cerbo?

Say i use just a standard bms with my battery pack (with no GX suppot), would it still work?

thanks!

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
dieterdirk avatar image
dieterdirk answered ·

Oh, and im also wondering if the cerbo would allow me to configure all Multiplus settings on my smartphone via Bluetooth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

If you have an inverter (Multiplus) and a battery it will work. You need to set the settings multiplus manually for your battery specs and don't try to puch any battery limits. Also make sure your cells are well top balanced. You will have none of the features that the GX have for managing the system.

The best way would be to add a GX device (you can also use a Raspberry Pi as a GX if it is a small system) and then link the battery to the GX. There is a list of 3rd party batteries that does work even if they are not certified and you can also look at the serialbattery driver I created. Using a GX gives you much more options and detailed data that are also published the the VRM cloud. You can see the data on your phone on the Remote Console in a browser. Victron Connect just helps you get to the Remote Console.

2 |3000

dieterdirk avatar image
dieterdirk answered ·

Thanks a lot. Just to make sure:

could i configure everything via the cerbo on my smartphone?

3 comments
2 |3000

Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt commented ·
yes you will be able to do it on your smartphone
0 Likes 0 ·
dieterdirk avatar image dieterdirk commented ·

thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

To be clear, you can't configure everything via an app. The multi requires some settings to be done with veconfig still (a windows application in the old-school sense), this can be applied remotely via VRM or locally with a mk3 USB adapter.

There are just some things that can't be done via victron connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
tom4x avatar image
tom4x answered ·

You could use the Battery Monitor of the Multiplus for this intermediate solution. Using VE.configure (requires an MK3 USB Adapter)

battery-monitor.png

It will give you and the inverter/charge (an approximated) state of charge:soc.png

battery-monitor.png (27.0 KiB)
soc.png (355 B)
2 |3000