question

mfriedel avatar image
mfriedel asked

Large battery system using multiple BMS

I am tasked with evaluating if it is possible to design a 24V system that has 40-50kWh of storage. That would be 8-10 200A Smart batteries. As far as I know the maximum allowed parallel batteries is 5 with the Lynx BMS. The question is, if it is supported to have 2 battery banks of 5 parallel each. i.e 2 Lynx BMS.

BMS
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

a 24V system that has 40-50kWh of storage

Go for 48V.

2 Likes 2 ·
mfriedel avatar image mfriedel seb71 commented ·
Unfortunately I can't do that, or at least it wouldn't make sense. This system is for a boat. And all the boat systems (Inverter/Charger/Pumps/Winches/Windlass/...) is 24V. The customer would prefer to use the Victron batteries as there is already a lot of Victron equipment.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mfriedel commented ·
Some suggestions, based on the 48V recommendation, but what you're asking is really outside our community scope.

Consider 48V to 24V DC: DC converters

Consider a core 48V battery with a 24V system for the consumers, that's fed from the 48V system.

Might be better to discuss with a dealer. They will need much more information, of course.

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
hardy-tuner avatar image
hardy-tuner answered ·

Here was also a boat Configuration with 24V at Lagoon 620 Karamaran, now changed by victron dealer to 48V and 24V powered by Orion and small 24v battery for anker, winch etc :

https://youtu.be/EGWatPlZXas

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfriedel avatar image
mfriedel answered ·

Thanks for the answers. The question was not wether it makes sense to go to 48V or a different system. I asked specifically if it was possible to combine 2 battery banks with 2 separate BMS into a single system.

I have had some time to dig into the Venus source code, specifically the dbus_systemcalc.

It does not look like this is supported, as a single monitor or BMS is picked. I also did not see any code to sum up 2 BMS.

It looks like as it would be possible to create a virtual BMS that takes 2 or more existing on the dbus and presents it as one. And then pick that one.

I suspect that alone would not be enough, as there would probably have to be some synchronization / equalization before paralleling the 2 or more banks.

Is there a documentation out there for the Lynx BMS VE.Can parameters ?

2 |3000