question

bezda avatar image
bezda asked

lynx smart bms charge current

Hi, is there any published algorithm on how does the Lynx Smart BMS decide charge current? Sometimes it charges full power of the multiplus up to almost full capacity, sometimes it decides to only charge at 30 % of multiplus full output, which is not very efficient for me, since I'm not connected to shore power and I need to run the engine significantly longer.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @bezda,

AFAIK the charge algorithm is not published, but most likely depends on the charge voltage limit (CVL), SoC threshold and also charge current limit (DVCC).

Assuming SOC is lower than SoC threshold, then CVL is set to 14.20V.

If there is no charge current limit (or input current limit), then the MultiPlus should charge at full power (bulk) until 14.20V is reached. This is followed by the absorption phase with a maximum duration of 2h (depending on the setting in the Multiplus or in Lynx Smart BMS) to balance cells. Once all cells are balanced, CVL is set to 13.50V.

From now on the MultiPlus will only charge with a reduced charge current because the battery voltage will reach the charge voltage limit of 13.50V very quickly. The lower the battery voltage is below set charge voltage limit, the higher the charge current will be in order to get back to 13.50V as quickly as possible. All this happens in the so-called storage mode.

You can force a full charge (with max. charge current) when you change SoC threshold to a value slightly higher than SOC.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.