question

mushroomman avatar image
mushroomman asked

EasySolar II 48/3000 Genset

Hi all,

I am looking at setting up a basic offgrid system to power a small aircon, some lights, fans and other tools/chargers etc.

However I live in a subtropical region which is often cloudy and will definitely need to run a generator from time to time during long rain events.

I have a few questions regarding the battery charger in the easysolar.

1. What size generator is required to run the battery charger?
2. Will the solar panels continue to charge while generator/charger is charging?
3. Will the loads be shared or continue to run off the Inverter/solar batteries?

GeneratorEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @MushroomMan

You don't say whether 230 or 120 V unit, nor the actual Multiplus model within, so broadly..

#1 There's a minimum ac input you can set, typically equates to ~1000W, so I wouldn't bother with a genset below 2kVA. For a max, maybe 35A charge spec @ 57V charge =~ 2000W. Plus loads. Maybe 4kVA would do. It's typical to set an overall max input from the genset. Lets say 13A @ 230V =~3000W.

#2 Set the genset/Easy Absorb setting 0.1V below the mppt's Abs, then the solar takes priority. You won't be needing the genset in a Float situation, so it's irrelevant.

#3 The loads will be serviced by the genset as priority. Headroom for charging. Shortfall for loads are topped off by the Easy, so the 3000W above can now be added to by the 3kVA Easy, so you have quite some load capacity.

Gensets aren't created equal, and I wouldn't touch anything not specced as AVR or Inverter regulation. The others are designed for bunnies, destined for grief.

General stuff from Victron, may/not agree with my general comments. Keep in mind for future reference.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.