question

ethan93 avatar image
ethan93 asked

Phoenix inverter 12/500 incorrect output AC voltage

I have installed the Victron Phoenix 12/500 inverter in my camper van, supplied by a new 120AH AGM deep cycle battery.

The inverter is a 230VAC unit (labelled on the box, and on the inverter socket itself)

Prior to connecting loads I checked the output and discovered that it is inverting at 120VAC.

Thinking that it was a programming issue, I purchased the V.E direct Bluetooth dongle. Which showed that the inverter was configured to 230VAC (as it should have been). Adjusting the output range from 210-245 VAC, changed the inverters voltage at the socket from 100VAC to 120VAC . (The dongle didn't allow me to change the VAC range between 230 and 110, only from 210-245)

I plugged a globe into the inverter outlet to determine whether it needed to adjust depending on load to no avail. The light worked but was probably just operating on a low voltage situation.

Is it possible that the wrong transformer was put inside my inverter chassis?

I confirmed that my Meter was accurate by testing 240VAC on a known source. But I wondered if the V-RMS voltage on my Meter worked differently with the different power source? I.e comparing a 12v inverter supply to a street transformer.

Has anyone encountered this before?

I haven't tried the inverter on a different battery as yet. But during testing the battery was reading 13-14 volts and was charged by a 285watt solar panel.

Thanks in advance.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
K.J Kumar avatar image
K.J Kumar answered ·

Hello Ethan,

Sorry to hear that.

Several questions:

From where did you procure the Victron 12/500 ,220~240AC Phoenix Inverter?

1) Was it an "open box?"

2) Bought it from a used trader?

3) Got it at a discount Trader?

4) Swap meet?

5) Original Victron Distributor?

Why I asked you :

1) Victron Products are throughly tested 3 times by the QC Dept: before releasing to Sales Dept:

2) Victron labeling never gets wrong. It's totally computerized and chances of Manual error is Nil.

3) The aforesaid item carries a 5 year warranty against any defect. If procured from Victron official

dealer, they'd replace the item at no cost. No questions asked.

Now let's look at the other probabilities. What I script may sound sour, but in reality this often happens in our vicious word. These findings are closely correlated to the above 4 items.

1) Unscrupulous "XYZs" removed the 220~240 AC Toroid Transformer and replaced it with 110~120

AC Toroid Transformer.

2) The whole Circuit board was swapped by the aforesaid "XYZ", with 110~120AC system.

I have often come across reports of such nefarious activities from XYZs, and a few arrests.

Remedy:-

1) Return the item to the seller and obtain refund.

1a) Chances are that you may not be successful.

1b) Do you have a printed receipt, as a proof of procurement? if not.....

1c) It's goodbye to your funds and a bid BLUE CHOKE for your Van

2) If the said item was procured from Victron Distributor, chances are 100%; for a replacement with a

smile.

Ethan, If I exceeded my limits, please do forgive me.

Take care and be safe.

Respectfully,

KJ Kumar PhD

110321/1301h PST

PS: If anyone assumes that I'm, in any way, affiliated or represent Victron, Nederlands, or their

distributors, sorry, Im not.

You may disregard all the above statements and please do not hold me responsible for

composing the above statements. This is ONLY for informational purposes. I may be totally

wrong.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

K.J Kumar avatar image
K.J Kumar answered ·

Errata and addendum to 1c.

Read 1c as) It's goodbye to your funds and a good BLUE CHOKE for your Van

2 |3000