question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Lynx distributor & mega fuses

I love the Lynx distributor with its mega fuse slots.

How do you fuse charge controlers if the smallest mega fuse 48v is 125amp ? for a 45 to 85a in 48v ?

thanks

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Herve RV Nizard,

for smaller rated fuses I use Littlefuse, which are available either in 32V or 70V with the smallest at 60A.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·
Thanks @Stefanie . are they exactly the same size as the mega fuses ? to fit in the lynx distributor ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·
Yes, they are 51mm and fit perfectly.
0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

Problem...I can't find any seller for the 70v version of Littelfuse Mega fuses. Anyone else have any luck?

1 comment
2 |3000

yawnbox avatar image yawnbox commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
sean-smith avatar image
sean-smith answered ·

Not sure if you are still looking but have found these guys in Australia who will ship internationally, have not tried them but may be worth a go.
https://www.swe-check.com.au/product/pacific-70v-mega-fuse-sbfw-k

2 |3000

atebee avatar image
atebee answered ·

It would be really nice if Victron extended their range of 48V mega fuses to include lower Amp rated fuses.

Example being the challenge trying to connect an MPPT to a Lynx busbar with both the correct fuse per the MPPT manual requirements and a suitable fuse voltage rating.

Also the Littlefuse 70V range have short circuit rating of 2500A which meets the requirements of a single Pylontech US5000. Much neater than adding NH00 fuse holders to the system.

2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

Just a reminder that the amp rating of the fuse is primarily to protect the cable, not the device.

2 comments
2 |3000

atebee avatar image atebee commented ·

I'm aware of that but the installation manual for the solar charge controllers has some very specific instructions on fuses sizes.

And Victron do not supply a MEGA fuse suitable for a 48V system with a rating less than 125A. Which means you potentially have to mix MEGA and MIDI fuses which is messy.

1719388641311.png

1 Like 1 ·
1719388641311.png (12.9 KiB)
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa atebee commented ·
As long as you protect the cable, that is, that the fuse is rated at or below the maximum current rating of the cable, you'll be fine. The MPPT's have an internal fuse albeit if they blow, you'll need to take it in for service as it's not a part that can be changed by the user.
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Atebee you can always use the littelfuse which comes in the flavours your after and fit the Lynx distro

i found this company in the UK not sure where you are but you can get more flavours of fuses for a fraction of the price high voltage rating too hope this helps just double check the measurements but mine fit my Lynx without issue

img-5020.png

https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/?marcom=172767957

img-5020.png (908.6 KiB)
2 |3000

grua avatar image
grua answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Fuses & fuse holders Product Page.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic