question

skot0123 avatar image
skot0123 asked

I'm wanting to install a system on my boat that has 240v split phase panel

I would like to install an inverter on my boat to use while underway and at anchor so I don't have to run my generator all the time. My boat has a 240v split phase panel. The only appliances running on the 240v side(using both legs) are my A/C units, my clothes dryer, and my water heater. I THINK I can use the Victron Multiplus ii 2x 120v to power the two legs for use with 120v breakers and turn off the 240v breakers while underway but if I'm understanding the Multiplus correctly I would have issues still while on shore power with pass through because of the two phase side of things.

Am I understanding this correctly and one multplus would not work? If I used two would I really need the 2x 120v considering that would make 4 120 volt legs when I only need two and is there a better alternative if I am using two inverters communicating with each other to make split phase?

split phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
basil katakuzinos avatar image
basil katakuzinos answered ·

The 120V Multis can be configured in split phase.

so 2 of these Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-48V-3kVA-35-50-120V-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com)

Or if you require larger inverters perhaps a quattro would suit you.

Datasheet-Quattro-3-10kVA-120V-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com)

when you purchase them you need to make sure that your dealer is aware you want to operate the units in split phase as they need to supply matching units.

The multiplus 2X 120 will work but when your generator is off, it will only create single phase power (Both legs will be joined together). This may be ideal if you are happy to sacrifice 240v loads when the generator is off. The multiplus 2X120 v will accept split phase power and pass it through giving you 240v power when the multi is connected to a generator.

MultiPlus-II 2x 120V - Victron Energy

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

basil katakuzinos avatar image basil katakuzinos commented ·

schematic from the data sheet1630067042091.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1630067042091.png (611.9 KiB)
basil katakuzinos avatar image basil katakuzinos commented ·
  1. In a multiphase configuration (with two or more 2X120V multiplus inverters) the second leg of each inverter becomes disabled so you have 240V between the inverter outputs and 120V between each output and ground.
0 Likes 0 ·