question

joelflorek avatar image
joelflorek asked

Wire Gauges for Multiplus II and 3x 100Amp Hour Battleborns

I am doing a 3x 100amp hr lithium battleborn setup in my fifth wheel (12v) with the multiplus II. As I do my research it seems everyone is using 4/0 for the battery connections and to the multiplus. However, as I look in the multiplus manual it says that 1/0 AWG is sufficient for the cable lengths(2 to 3 feet). Not sure if everyone is being overly cautious or if there is another reason. From my standpoint there are very limited suppliers that can get me the cable and terminals in a timely fashion for my trip if I have to go 4/0 but auto shops and the big box hardware stores all carry 1/0 or smaller and its a bit less expensive which is always nice.

Multiplus-IILithium Batterywiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If this is the MP II 120/240, the manual is calling for TWO 1/0 wires for positive and two more for negative. 1/0 has a cross sectional area of 1/2 that of a 4/0 so two 1/0 is equivalent to one 4.0.

Some people have indicated it's easier to get 1/0 and it's terminal into a Multi than a 4/0.

Go for TWO 1/0 to the multi and a single 1/0 from each battery to a common point (busbar or stud).

Maintain equal lengths: battery positive to busbar all the same length, battery negative to busbar all the same length, busbar to multi positive both the same length, busbar to multi negative both the same length. Note that positive and negative lengths do not need to be the same.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.