question

abraxas avatar image
abraxas asked

Multiplus charger - Alert "high DC ripple"

Hello,

When I charge a 200Ah lithium battery with a Multiplus 12/500, after a while the charger switches off and the "high DC ripple" alert appears. Could not charge it fully. I took the battery and the Multiplus out of the electrical system to connect them directly to each other, but the problem persists ...
So I imagine the error is either from the battery or from the multiplus?

Have you ever run into this problem? What do you think is the cause?

thanks in advance

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium Battery
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
What is the cross section area (wire gauge) of the wires between the battery and the inverter?
0 Likes 0 ·
abraxas avatar image abraxas seb71 commented ·
Hi seb71,

That's a 16mm2 wire (5AWG)
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@abraxas

Other than the advice to check out wiring unlimited, i have seen some batteries do this when they are sharged faster than the bms amp rating of the brand. And I have had to open a 'new' battery and tighten down cell links they were loose and caused dc ripple.

Also happens on banks that have undersized or incorrect cabling as seb mentioned.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
abraxas avatar image
abraxas answered ·

Hi seb71,

That's a 16mm2 wire (5AWG)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

abraxas avatar image
abraxas answered ·

Impossible to do absorption and float phase.
The charger throughout the Bulk phase then goes into alert.

I managed to fully charge the battery (absorption and float) with the orion alternator charger. Which comforts me in the idea that the problem comes from the multiplus.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

My two cents, start with the official material: this powerpoint here on top: https://www.google.nl/search?q=dc+ripple+victron&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-nl&client=safari

And then if you want to know all there is to know about wiring: read the wiring unlimited book we have.

lastly, I’m sure also the manual gives advice on dc ripple and its common causes.

have a good weekend!

2 |3000

Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Chances are very good that you have unbalanced cells, the forces the BMS to disconnect to protect the bank.

Got that T-shirt.

2 |3000