question

neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy asked

Venus Gui QML - How to quickly view updates to QML

I have a web developer background and am digging into the QML files some. After I make changes I tried the

svc -d /service/gui

and

svc -u /service/gui

Commands to refresh the interface. So far a reboot has been the only way to see my changes. Any ideas?

modifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I use killall gui to restart the GUI.

What you are doing should work and did in my test. Not sure why it's not working.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·
for what it is worth svc -t /service/gui should also work.
0 Likes 0 ·
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

@Kevin Windrem thanks for the reply. I’m actually doing some work on guimods. You’ve done amazing work. I just want to try some refinement.

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Lots that can be done. Good luck and let me know what you come up with.
0 Likes 0 ·
neoneddy avatar image neoneddy Kevin Windrem commented ·
I'll push changes back .. I'm still a bit green on git, but I'll see what I can do.
0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

I'm a web dev too and just about to start digging into this stuff. It would be cool to add other pages to Venus to control some of the other stuff in my van on the LAN.

Are you editing the QML files by hand or are you using a GUI editor for the layouts?

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
I'm editing by hand. Debug is limited since there is no way to output messages from QML, at least that I've found.
0 Likes 0 ·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·

console.log() will do that. E.g.

Component.onCompleted: console.log("Completed Running!")

or you can add onSomethingChanged: console.log() for any property you want.

0 Likes 0 ·
neoneddy avatar image neoneddy commented ·
Yeah, I'm doing it by hand, QML / QT kind of has it's own CSS type settings for border radius, colors, etc.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic