question

colind avatar image
colind asked

BMV-700 Persistent Low Battery Alarm

I have a Victron Energy BMV-700 Battery Monitor on my solar power system. For quite a number of years the alarm system has very rarely gone off. However since the lead acid battery placement change (originally in 2 rows of 12 batteries but now in 1 row of 24 batteries and only changed to make it easier to see all the battery levels) a couple of months ago I am constantly getting Low Battery Alarm alerts and the system shuts down.. The battery level has normally been between 70% and 90% when this occurs thus making a mockery of "low battery". Sometimes this is happening 4 or 5 times a day (normally it happens at least once every day) & it is driving me demented not knowing why nor being able to resolve the problem.

Any ideas/solutions would be gratefully received. Thank you

low battery warning
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ColinD

The BMV gets it's V readings from a separate wire with a fuse in it. Try changing out the fuse and make sure the wire/terminals are in good nick.

Some early BMV's gave issues with a 100mA fuse. Make sure it's 1A.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

colind avatar image
colind answered ·

Hi @JohnC

Without wishing to sound like a real plonker is the fuse you refer to actually inside the BMV box or elsewhere? Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@ColinD

It's just a thin red wire going to the batt +ve. An inline fuse close to the batt end, but it's quite small and looks almost like a cable join.

Unless the installer has replaced it with something else..

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic