question

voster avatar image
voster asked

Adding lithium batteries to my Victron solar on my boat

On my boat I have 4 x 175 Victron solar panels, a Victron 100/50 MPPT solar charger, and a Victron 3000 Inverter charger, my current batery setup is 6 x 120AH lead acid batteries which I am replacing with 4 x 310 AH LIFEPO4 Lithium batteries. Do I need a BMS or will the current setup suffice.When I bought the Victron units it said it would work with Lithium as well lead acid, but I keep hearing about the need for a BMS unit for the batteries, and now I'm not sure.

Lithium Battery
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
You have forgotten to mention your battery make/model.
0 Likes 0 ·
voster avatar image voster klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

4PCS VariCore 3.2V 310Ah lifepo4 battery DIY 12V 310AH Rechargeable battery pack for Electric car RV Solar Energy storage system

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
voster avatar image
voster answered ·

4PCS VariCore 3.2V 310Ah lifepo4 battery DIY 12V 310AH Rechargeable battery pack for Electric car RV Solar Energy storage system

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Yes you will need some sort of cell balancing.

Yes you will need some sort of BMS to detect cell hi/low and battery hi/low voltage conditions.

Off Grid Garage, has done pretty much all the related tests for LifePo4... It is probably worth looking at a couple of days (many hours) of his videos, before committing to anything ...

2 |3000

voster avatar image
voster answered ·

Thanks for the link.

The 4 x 3.2 volt lithium batteries will be connected in series to make up 12.8 volts.

2 |3000

Related Resources