question

stefanesai avatar image
stefanesai asked

What victron charger for lifepo4 + lead/agm? + Argofet question.

I am planning to upgrade the 12v house bank in my boat to lithium. In the process I need a new 230v charger, with 3 outputs to charge this new lithium bank, plus agm starter batteries, plus windlass/thruster battery.

looking for high capacity as well as keeping it on more or less constantly to maintain and keep all batteries topped up and in good shape.

the Skylla 12/70-3 was recommended to me but then I was warned that it would not cope with batteries of a different type.

Also, I already have the Argofet 200-3 mounted, and it works great. But again, someone said it would not work with one battery bank being lithium. As that bank is so power hungry the theory is that no charging current from the engine will reach the two other banks until the lithium bank is full.

Is it true? Or will it work? This lithium upgrade is turning into a headache before it started.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
rds3000 avatar image
rds3000 answered ·

Im working on this 3-bank, mixed-type issue now with my new system. Any progress?

Currently I'm planning on using the Orion DC-DC units from the starter bank to charge with the alternator, but that doesn't solve the problem of charging the house and thruster banks from solar and wind. Should I connect the MPPT to the starter battery as well and charge the other banks using the Orions? Also what is the difference between using the Orion and the Cyrix battery combiners?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources