question

jasongillies avatar image
jasongillies asked

Orion dc dc charger isolating switch on load side

if The load battery is isolated so the dc dc charger will not see a battery to charge will the charger turn off? want to check there is no risk to devices still on the output side.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

I have an Orion TR Smart, with the output connected to two Smart Battery Protect Inputs. Each of those inputs is then connected to a battery. I can select which battery the Orion charges be enabling one or other of the Smart Battery Protects. On a few occasions I have ended up with both battery protects disabled and the Orion TR on. While it does not look like there has been any issue, the Orion TR has stayed at float voltage, I am not sure it is a good thing to do. I would personally ensure if there is no battery on the output of the Orion that you disable the Orion with the remote on/off switch.

I have since re-wired things such that the two SBP's are on a small A/B selector (Single Pole Double Throw toggle switch) so that one is always enabled. Something like this TE Connectivity SPDT Toggle Switch, Latching, PCB, A101SYCQ04£3.08RS Components UKFor most items:30-day return policy.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.