question

big-ste avatar image
big-ste asked

Orion tr smart 12/12-18

Hi

I have a caravan and wanted to know if I can install the Orion Tr smart. 12/12-18 in the van to improve charging to my lithium battery. My biggest concern is the switched live feed from the car is only 2.5mm2 and protected with a 30 amp fuse in the car. Any help greatly appreciated

orion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oxy avatar image oxy commented ·

Have you tried it, did it work? I’m in a similar situation limited by a 2.5mm2 cable in the tow harness. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @Oxy- for 12 volt systems the Orion manual recommends wiring that is at least six square mm for a short run of 0.5 metres and up to sixteen square mm for longer runs from 5 up to 10 metres (the sort length you would anticipate for a car and caravan). Even if you were to halve these numbers for an Orion 12/12-18 a 2.5 square mm cable would not be sufficient. You could easily damage both the cable, car wiring harness and connector.

If it were me I would allow for future increases in demands and stick with the manual and install a dedicated 16 square mmm cable and seperate connector (Anderson style or equivalent) with a 60 amp fuse (as close to the alternator as possible).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.