question

rcblasdell avatar image
rcblasdell asked

How many Trina Solar DE15M(II)'s can I connect in series with MPPT 150/35?

I already have a new MPPT 150/35 Charge Controller and six Trina Solar (Tallmax) DE15M(II) 395-420W panels. The panel Voc is listed as a range (not a single value): 48.7 to 49.7v at 395 to 420W (respectively) at Standard Test Conditions and 45.9 to 46.7v , same power output range, at Nominal Module Operating Temperature. I live at 38.5375 deg. N. lattitude (maybe 60 miles north of San Francisco, CA as the crow flies). The Victron Energy MPPT 150/35 lists Max PV Voc of 145v start-up and operating conditions, 150v absolute max. coldest conditions. It seems like I can therefore just "squeek in" connecting 3 of the DE15M(II)'s in series, and have two of those 3-element strings in parallel going into the charge controller. The battery bank is 48v (eight 12v batteries, 4 in series, two sets of those in parallel). The panel short circuit current is 10.37 to 10.76 A at STC so that seems fine either way (3 x 2 or 2 x 3). Is this correct? Would 3 strings of 2 panels in series be better, safer, ...?

Thanks

MPPT ControllersSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Three in series is really too close to the limit. If the module temperature goes below 15°C then you'll be over the 150V maximum.
It'll be better to go two in series and then three parallel. The Isc of this configuration will still be within the 40A limit for this controller.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rcblasdell avatar image rcblasdell commented ·

Thanks. I see the Temperature Coefficient in the table now. So, just to see if I actually more or less understand, I'll work things through for an extreme case (using info on the two-page specifications sheet)...

Assume (for example) the panels are perfectly aligned and operating at local "noon" (maximum solar irradiance) one day. The Normal Operating Temp of the cells would be about 41 C (spec. sheet). The next day, same time, it's been totally overcast and cold so the cells have been "off" (non-irradiated) and could be at 15 C = 59 F. Suddenly the clouds clear and the cells start up under full irradiance while cold with no load (batteries charged, everything beyond the inverter turned off because we are out of town, inverter itself drawing negligible power for control circuits, so open circuit conditions). The voltage per panel could easily be somewhere between (48.7 and 49.7 v) * (1 - (0.0026 v/C)*(15 C - 25 C) = (49.97v to 50.99v). Under these conditions with three panels, even the [??lowest peak irradiance induced output power range??] (395W column) Voc is at the open circuit limit of the charge controller. The higher power range values (up to 420W) are beyond the limit (3 x 51v = 153 v > 150v). Without knowing the local irradiance, this (15 C startup) is about the first temperature where all of the listed performance scenarios have Voc at or above the charge controller limit. Presumably, the starting temperature could hypothetically (and perhaps over simplistically) be about 1.5 times colder (in extreme conditions that have happened here in the distant past, maybe down to 0 C). So there could possibly be conditions where any level of peak local solar irradiance (the columns in the spec table) would be enough to produce too much Voc for the charge controller with 3 panels in series. So, 2 panels in series it is.

I of course don't know what is realistic for the time response for T and V of the cells, so I don't know how over conservative (or not) the above is, but at least it is safe. Is the above more or less the train of reasoning one needs to go through?

Thanks again,

Robert

p.s. For Trina Solar: It would be nice for us customers if you could list in the specs table the normal irradiance that produces each of the listed Peak Powers (existing column headings) so we could know which of the columns in the table we are supposed to use. As is, I have to have a panel already in place and working so that I can look at a historical record of Power Output (V, I) in order to know which column of the specifications table to use. You've already gone to a lot of trouble with your spec. sheet. Just dot an "i" and cross a "t" and it would be perfect. Thanks. R. C. Blasdell, Ph.D. (physics)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic