question

machineage avatar image
machineage asked

Victron Dual-Purpose Lithium Battery - Please :)

I wonder if Victron would consider developing a dual-purpose lithium battery?

Most lithium batteries of circa 75-125Ah are deep-cycle only, with limited peak discharge currents that prohibit their use for starting engines.

There are now some batteries on the the market with dual-purpose capability, and with CCA’s much higher than their lead acid counterparts.

Take for example the Antigravity AG-H7-80-RS, this 80Ah battery has a CCA of 2000 amps! It also has a feature they call ‘RE-START’. The BMS puts the battery to sleep when it’s reached a point of discharge, retaining enough in reserve to start your engine. The feature is activated by a remote fob, or a button on the battery. This could effectively eliminate the requirement for a separate start battery in some applications, removing the associated complexity.

There’s also a 100Ah battery from RELiON, which has a peak discharge current of 800A.

I would love to see a similar Victron product :)

Lithium Batterystarter batterybattery manufature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Lead-acid batteries are working fine for starting engines (internal combustion engines).

And the governments plan to ban ICE cars, so what's the point?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

machineage avatar image
machineage answered ·

I wasn't thinking of cars. In my specific case a hovercraft, where the weight benefit would also be appreciated

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic