question

cchilcott avatar image
cchilcott asked

Battery equalisation

I am looking for help with battery equalisation. The house battery set up in my motorhome is 4 x 6v 550AH AGM batteries wired in series to provide 24v. I would like to install a battery equalisation system. Most of the information I have read talks about 2 x 12v batteries in series. Can anyone help with information regarding how many equalisers I need and how to connect them.

equalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Hi. Battery equalisation is a process done to (mainly) FLOODED Lead Acid Batteries. This involves charging the battery to 100% and then raising the charge voltage to 15.5V for a 12V battery. AGM batteries should not need equalising unless specified by the manufacturer. The process is programmed into your normal charger, and you don't need any 'extra' equipment - unlike for lithium batteries where the BMS takes care of the cell balancing function.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

There is no Victron battery balancer suitable for use with 6V batteries. You could connect the Victron 24V balancer across 2x 6V batteries in series (at the 12V mid-point), but it will not measure or balance the individual batteries.

I have had fairly good results in a 24V AGM system (with 4x6V batteries in series) using generic/universal energy transfer type balancers such as the Huaxiao HA02 unit. They are reasonably inexpensive and can be purchased from places like eBay or similar.

http://www.huaxiaotech.com/product/2-12V-Battery-Equalizer-Balancer-for-LifePo4-Lithium-battery-pack-Balancer-extend-battery-Life-83.html

2 |3000

Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

you are in the french section so i mouve your question in the good section !

i think you may be spoke about battery balancer, in this case look on the manual, you have some schematic witch explen how to conect it !

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic