question

johna avatar image
johna asked

Is my alternator sufficient for DCDC Charger?

I see SMART alternator mentioned in the Victron DC DC Charger overview but don't know if my original alternator is adequate.

Sprinter 2005 413cdi

2 house batteries @ 125 DC.

Regulator is MPPT 40amp.

I just need help to charge my batteries when solar is lacking. And, which model suits?

Any advice appreciated please.

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wanek avatar image
wanek answered ·

hello!

1) "Sprinter 2005 413cdi": ask your mechanic or make resarch on the internet to find out what is the amperage of the alternator. because the car also needs current for his own electronics, and has to charge the starter battery, to protect the alternator i would not use more than half of its capacity. example, if the alternator is 60a, i would use only 30a for charging the secondary batteries

2) "2 house batteries @ 125 DC": this expression is not correct i guess. nobody has or should have 125v dc in his camper :) what is important, however, the internal resistance of the battery, which you can measure with a specific instrument or you can find out on the datasheet.

3) "Regulator is MPPT 40amp": this is not important when you charge the bank from the alternator

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johna avatar image
johna answered ·

Oops! My ignorance! The batteries are Century 125 AGM.

I will nhave my alternator checked out in a few weeks before purchase. Currently in remote Australia.

Many thanks, JohnA

1 comment
2 |3000

wanek avatar image wanek commented ·

"The batteries are Century 125 AGM."

how many do you have and what is the amperage of each?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic