question

chardonnay-boatworks avatar image
chardonnay-boatworks asked

Battery Connections to Skylla 12/70

I am trying to install a new Skylla 12-70 (1) battery charger; It appears that the battery cables are secured under 10mm 'nylock' nuts that are on studs? They are very tight from the factory; we we remove these and secure the cables with them? I always treated Nylock nuts as one time devices but there was no other hardware in the box and they surely don't want us to attach the batteries ON TOP of those nuts. Can't find anything about this.

battery charging
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mckenzie-keith avatar image mckenzie-keith commented ·

I came here to ask the same thing. Since this is a very old question and still unanswered, should I ask the same question again? It looks like the nuts are covered with conformal coating making them a challenge to remove. Should I just crank on them until they unscrew?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
a picture of the problem would be good.

Typically the cables to the battery should have a crimped lug, and are secured to a busbar with: a plain washer, a spring washer and then a nut. If you have a nylock nut, then the spring washer may be redundant.

What size are the studs (M8?)

0 Likes 0 ·
mckenzie-keith avatar image mckenzie-keith Mike Dorsett commented ·

I started a new question. There is a picture there. I know how to crimp lugs on the wire. It is the Skylla side I am uncertain about.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/236295/skylla-ip65-battery-connection-how-does-it-work.html?childToView=236299#answer-236299

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers