question

the-master avatar image
the-master asked

Inverter RS 48/6000 USA 240V Power setup.

Hello,

I am looking into the possibility of using an Inverter RS 48/6000 in an off-grid use-case in the US.

My thought is that I can pair the RS with an autotransformer to provide a neutral for split-phase 120v - 0v - 120v power. I have a couple of questions.

1. Can the voltage on the Inverter RS be adjusted (from 230V to 240V?)
2. Can the frequency be adjusted from 50 - 60HZ?
3. Can anyone else see any downside to this configuration (if the above two criteria are met?)

It appears from the app demo that the above power settings are possible. But I can't confirm with any spec sheet data that I could find.

Thanks!

inverter rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

1. I would assume so, all the multiplus say 230V in the spec sheet but can be set to 240V. So it would be weird if they limited here.

2. Yes, it can do 60hz, this is confirmed in the spec-sheet at the bottom.

3. I think the autotransformer is the best way to do split-phase. Only downside that I see is that you can't parallel more inverters if you would like more power vs a Multiplus-ii 48/5000. That would be my only consideration, you can add more MPPTs or AC-coupled solar.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georbro3 avatar image
georbro3 answered ·

Yes, the RS Smartsolar 48/6000 in conjunction with an Autotransformer can be set to 60 hz and the output voltage set to 240 vac. That is how mine is setup. Important! Be sure to turn the ground relay off on the RS Smart Solar and DO NOT connect the PE ground neutral between the RS Smart Solar and the Autotransformer.

I also use a separate MPPT charge controller and Smart Shunt in addition to the main charger on the RS SmartSolar unit. Mine is connected to a Cerbo GX and monitored on the VRM.

The only thing I cannot figure out how to do is turn off just the inverter and leave the main charger on. If I could do that I would not likely need the second charge controller.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic