question

jasontav avatar image
jasontav asked

SmartLithium Balancing issue

Hi,

I have a pair of SmartLithium 12V/150Ah in series for a 24V battery. Both on v1.24 firmware.

One of the seems to be having a problem balancing. The other one is fine.

This is from the end of a 2hr absorption phase - you can see cell 3 is really lagging behind:
redbattery.png

any ideas?

Lithium BatteryBMS
redbattery.png (86.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Its not far out 0.04 volts is a small diferance and not enough to really worry about the bms will correct it over the next few weeks

or just keep it charging at 28.0 volts untill that cell comes up.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jasontav avatar image
jasontav answered ·

perhaps I should have mentioned, normally the batteries balance in about 30 minutes, so this is unusual/changed behaviour.

Also, that cell have been stuck at 3.48V/3.49V for about an 1.5hrs now. Normally I see voltage changes between cells fairly quickly,

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The very first charging can take a few hours.

1 comment
2 |3000

jasontav avatar image jasontav commented ·
this isn't a first charge - I've had the batteries approx 2 years
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Are you still balancing your batteries for 4-8 hours of absorption each month?

Battery Balancing..

1 comment
2 |3000

jasontav avatar image jasontav commented ·
recently i have been doing 30 minutes a week and both batteries have balanced in that time.

because they hadn't this week I initiated a manual equalisation from the controllers (NOTE: I have equalisation set up for my weekly full charges/balances) and then saw the behaviour from the screenshot

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page