question

yoki avatar image
yoki asked

Cerbo GX and large TV screen with HDMI port.

As the Cerbo GX has an HDMI port, I'm pretty sure it can also be displayed on a large screen TV with an HDMI port. Has anyone done this?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

have s nice day,

Yonas Kiflom

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, but of course there is no touch control.

cerbo-lgtv-copy.jpg

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
USB touch does work but most TVs don't provide it. You may find some large-ish HDMI computer monitors that do have USB touch output though. I've tried it on small (7") and it works out of the box.

You can also use a USB mouse.

1 Like 1 ·
bluexcoin avatar image bluexcoin commented ·
Where can you buy a such Cabinet Rack? Can you send me some infos per PN
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ bluexcoin commented ·
I built that cabinet myself at home.

Sorry, there are no part numbers or anything, just built from sheet metal and parts fabricated in my home workshop.

You could buy a standard computer rack and then make the custom parts yourself or get a local metal fabricator to make them for you.

0 Likes 0 ·
bobf avatar image
bobf answered ·

Message to Kevin Windrem: Hi. I noticed in another answer you said you have the Waveshare 7" plugged into the Cerbo, and "it worked right out of the box". I have the same unit, brand new, and when plugged into the Cerbo (using the correct USB port), and plugged into the "Touch" port on the screen, I get a static screen, which is replicating what I see on my phone screen. If I am showing the general screen, with the icons showing the power flow, I can scroll side to side and see the various displays. However, I cannot go into the menu. If I switch the phone screen to the Menu, the Waveshare screen also changes. From there I can scroll using the touch screen but not much can be viewed, and I cannot get back into the Display Screen again. I have to change in on the phone first. So, I am wondering how you got it to work directly connected to the Cerbo? Frustrating that I cannot finish my installation and that I still need to use the phone/laptop via the inbuilt WiFi, and Victron Connect..Thank you very much in advance.

5 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Touches on the display I have does work with Cerbo. Apparently besides the HDMI back channel for touch to support GX touch displays, it also has a USB mouse driver which includes touch.

Remember that the USB port closest to the HDMI port is power only. You need to plug the USB from the display into one of the other two ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
bobf avatar image bobf Kevin Windrem commented ·
HI Kevin. I did connect to the other USB ports on the Cerbo as per your warning. Let's say the screen is showing the overview of the system. No matter where I touch the screen, I cannot change into the Menu. In fact, I cannot see Pages and Menu, and of course no hot keys, either. The only way to get into Menu, is by choosing that on my phone, and the screen replicates the phone screen. From there, a bit of touch is working, but I still need to change things on the phone first, to get to other items of interest. I do not have any HDMI ports on a computer to test the actual Waveshare display with case. I can see menu items within the display (language, contrast, color, etc., but nothing that would affect what is happening when plugged into the Cerbo. While I see no documentation (so far), maybe there is something I need to change in one of the Cerbo's settings, like resolution, or anything else that would fully activate all functions? Thank you in advance for any suggestions I should try. Naturally, there is always the chance the screen itself is bad, right out of the box, but if it was, then I would think ALL functions would be dead. Cheers. Bobf
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem bobf commented ·
It sounds like the screen is not completely showing the full image ("I cannot see Pages and Menu"). I don't recall a problem when I hooked up my Waveshare to Cerbo but it's been a long time. Sorry, I can't think of anything else.
0 Likes 0 ·
bobf avatar image bobf Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thank you for your quick reply. Next week I will go ashore and try it on a friend's computer to see what happens. I am sure Win10 will see it, but I know some adjustments have to be done in order for it to be used as a 2nd display. If it works there, but not on the Cerbo, I don't know what to try next. It is a 1024 x 600 display, yet in the advertisement, it says it can be changed to something higher. Maybe the 5" screen with lower resolution will work? Do you happened to know what the pixels are on the Cerbo external display? Cheers.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem bobf commented ·

Touch 50 : 800x480

Touch 70: 1024x600

Not sure if you can install and run the touch screen calibration discussed here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/65414/venus-os-raspberry-4-5-mpi5001-calibration-touchsc.html

I did not do that and didn't even have to on my Raspberry PI 4. A calibration file was included in the Venus OS image and that one worked as-is.

0 Likes 0 ·