question

chrismcn avatar image
chrismcn asked

SmartShunt BT Strength + VE.Direct Cable Issue

First-time poster -

I just installed a SmartShunt monitor inside a waterproof box that I attached to the outside battery box of my new Airstream trailer. Horrendously poor BT signal. I have to be in direct line-of-sight if outside the trailer and literally within 3 feet of it if I'm inside the trailer to connect via the app. This problem is well document on the forum and I accept that the Airstream's aluminum frame presents some unique challenges. My solution is to add a BT dongle to the shunt with the dongle's head inside the trailer. I have another dongle connected to my 150/35 MPPT and it gives great BT reception both inside and outside of the Airstream so I'm hoping this is solve my problem with the Shunt.

However...... I just found out that the dongle cable is about six inches too short to reach the box if the dongle head is inside the trailer. Questions for this group:

1. I see that Victron sells various sizes of VE.Direct cables but all have female connectors on each end. Does Victron sell or recommend a male-to-male adapter that I could use to mate the dongle's cable to a short, 1 ft. VE.Direct cable?

2. I found a JST-PH 2.0mm 4 Pin Connector Kit, Male/Female with Pins online. Any thoughts if the male-to-male part would properly join these cables?

3. Thoughts on any other solution to this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

SmartShuntVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bob-t avatar image bob-t commented ·
Did you make a cable? Can you provide any details? I am trying to locate a VE Bluetooth Dongle upstairs in my motorhome and need a long cable to do this.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Making up an extension cable like that may well be the best option for you. This way, if it does not work, then it's reversible with no damage to the original equipment.
A short extension like that shouldn't affect performance, but if there are any issues then remove the extension first before diagnosing any further.
Just so that you are aware, home made cables are not encouraged because they can, and have, cause lengthy diagnosis problems when trying to figure out why a system is not working correctly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrismcn avatar image
chrismcn answered ·

Thanks wkirby.

I think I'll go ahead and build a short (< 2 ft) extension cable to go between the Dongle and a Victron VE.Direct cable. But I'm wondering now if the cable needs to be a straight cable or if I need to cross connect the RX/TX wires. The dongle is designed to plug directly into a VE device port rather than connect to a cable that might be internally crossed.

Anyone have a thought on this?

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
You should wire it straight through pin to pin.

Genuine VE.Direct cables are also straight through pin to pin.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Too late for you, but in such cases probably a BMV-712 Smart would have been a better choice (instead of the SmartShunt).

2 |3000

chrismcn avatar image
chrismcn answered ·

Yes, a 712 would have been a better choice but I purposely went with the SmartShunt because I didn't want to fish wire into and around my trailer and I assumed that the SmartShunt would have usable BT range (which it does not).

2 |3000

Related Resources