question

escaping-swedes avatar image
escaping-swedes asked

VIctron instalation and Blue Smart Charger IP65

Hi,

I would appreciate some feedback on my Victron installation drawing in general. I also have a question regarding the Victron blue smart IP65 charger.

I am installing this charger in a van. My question is: can this charger be plugged in even if the system is drawing DC power to appliances like the fridge? Also fuse recommendations on for a permanent installation.

Thanks heaps for answers // Henrik

blank-diagram.png

installation
blank-diagram.png (894.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Yes, you can use the dc loads while the charger is plugged in, but if the load current is greater than the charger current, the battery will not charge. With the exception of the MPPT, I would also move all of the charging sources to the positive busbar, but this is a personal choice.

You refer to fusing recommendations for a permanent set-up ? I see you have put in all the required fuses for the mobile set up, the fixed one should follow the same rules...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

escaping-swedes avatar image
escaping-swedes answered ·

Thanks heaps !

2 |3000

vishnuh avatar image
vishnuh answered ·

Hey, I would like to ask more questions about this setup. I am about to install one aswell on my sailboat.

What do you mean by "If the load current is greater than the charger current, the battery will not charge."
> The charger will stop charging the battery ?
> The out are exceeding the in, so the battery will deplete overtime ?

Also am I correct to understand I can plug the smart charger on the bus bar of my system like this ?
1697710667351.png

1697710667351.png (166.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
What was meant is that if the load current is greater than the charger current, the batteries will discharge. The charger won't stop pushing out current, but if you're pulling more current out of the battery bank than the charger is putting in, your batteries are discharging rather than charging.
0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

The Blue Smart charger is used to charge the battery from shore power. Why not just attach the charger’s leads directly to the battery?

What really puzzles me in your drawing is the fuse attached to battery. It’s not doing anything. It’s supposed to be protecting a circuit.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

It's an odd drawing, but one doesn't connect a charger directly to the battery when there is a battery monitor on the system, since that would bypass the shunt and therefore the battery monitor would no longer be accurate.

0 Likes 0 ·
vishnuh avatar image
vishnuh answered ·

Haha, sorry the fuse is a mistake. There is nothing there.

I am just considering pluging it in the busbar directly because it could be a better position for the charger itself in the boat. The busbar and the battery are not "next" to each others.

2 |3000

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

It appears Justin has answered your question.

Other than that it’s generally preferable, whether it be a solar charge controller or battery charger, to have them as close to the battery as possible.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic