question

paul-in-gambia avatar image
paul-in-gambia asked

Use wifi to see my equipment

I have a victron smartshunt and will soon be installing a victron battery protect

The victron agent in Gambia is saying that I need a colour control which costs €550. I cannot see this being true

Can you please tell me. What do I need to buy to enable me to see both of them online using my android phone ?

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You need a GX device and some cables to connect them together.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

You could also install Venus OS on a raspberry Pi.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If it's local monitoring you are looking for VictronConnect will do this via bluetooth.

I've been running Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi for some time. Works great and lots less expensive compared to any of the Venus devices. You need a VE.Direct to USB cable for the shunt and solar controller, an MK3 USB for any of the VE.Bus devices (inverter/chargers, BMS, etc) and a CANbus interface for NMEA2000 or other CANbus devices. Depending on what interfaces you need, cost could approach $200 US. For a system with one VE.Direct interface, you'd be looking at under $100

Cerbo GX without the companion display is around $300 US and I just realized you can fit an inexpensive HDMI display with USB touch output to Cerbo.

Email me at kwindrem@icloud.com if you are interested in a used CCGX.

2 |3000