question

thanasis avatar image
thanasis asked

Venus GX compatibility with Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70

Hi, Is Venus GX compatible with the Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70?

I would like to remotely monitor the Compact unit, the batteries and (both manually and auto) start and stop the generator.

Is there a different product if the Venus GX is not compatible?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVenus GX - VGX
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

"I would like to remotely monitor the Compact unit, the batteries and (both manually and auto) start and stop the generator."

You have not mentioned what battery/bms, or what genset you are using.

The multi 12-1600-70 is a pretty blunt brick. Not too many inputs/outputs, even with a gx device.

Relying on the multi/gx/bms to be in sync and remotely available is not 100% reliable.

I have been off grid with an 12-1600-70, plus mppts. Twice I have had problems with the pv array. Had to be on site to rectify that. Once had he BMS drop out during a firmware update, my fault for not reading the "documents".

Even gensets need refueling and servicing.

0 Likes 0 ·
thanasis avatar image thanasis klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I am using a VB9 light tower modified to a CCTV station. So I am using the Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70 and 4 deep charge batteries.

So I need a device that can connect through lan to the internet in order to :

Remotely check the battery voltage

Remotely start / stop the generator (I can modify the controller box to connect the relays)

Automatically start the generator id the battery voltage goes under 12V.

Give me indication about the gas tank level (even just a signal for 50% tank is more than enough)

As I can see I can do all of them with the Venus GX .

I presume that the software is free

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @thanasis ,

It is compatible, but in almost all circumstances it has now been superseded by the Cerbo GX and that should be used instead if the Venus GX hasn't already been acquired.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

Hi

It is not a production solution but I have just Installed the multiplus 12/1600/70 in camper van to replace 3rd party inverter. I'm using raspberry pi 3b+ running venus os 2.71. Also Monitors (SmartSolar and BMV 712) Monitoring the multiplus using VE Bus to USB mk3. Can access it via WiFi on my phone, ipad, mac. Bluetooth/VictronConnect Also is linked to VRM via mobile modem - remote VEConfigure, firmware updates work treat. Installing similar in show trailer

Don't know if this is useful

Rgds

2 |3000