question

gary-m avatar image
gary-m asked

Orion charge reading

Hi! I am charging a 105Ah AGM leisure battery from my 12v DC-DC 30A Victron Orion smart charger. I have the Orion set up according to the specifications of the battery, 14.7v absorption charge and 13.7v float. According to the app, the battery charging has reached float stage, so the battery should be charged.

However, if I take a voltage reading at the battery terminals a few hours later it reads around 12.2v as opposed to the expected 12.9ish for a full battery. The battery is not connected to anything else. Could this be an issue with the Orions setting or more likely the battery, which was new 6 months ago. Thanks!

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The Orion while powered should hold it at the float voltage 13.7 until its turned off, if you are turning the orion off and the voltage drops to 12.2 after a few hrs then you would have to suspect the battery is self discharging,

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.