question

Ramsey avatar image
Ramsey asked

Oasis Firefly Profile 2021

Does anyone have a clear profile for the oasis firefly battery? Preferable someone with experience and knows it works over time.

Many thanks

battery chargingMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
charlie98117 avatar image
charlie98117 answered ·

Sorry I can’t speak from experience but I recently set up a 3 battery bank and asked Firefly Oasis to answer questions I had regarding Victron settings. I was a bit surprised at some of the answers, following is the response from Tom Whitehead, Technical Sales:

Hi Charlie - My responses below...
Float Voltage - The Firefly manual indicates 13.4 or 13.5. Is one more preferred? I currently set it at 13.45. I would stick with 13.5v, especially if you have an alternator regulator that is also programmed.

Storage Mode - The standard Victron profile includes a storage mode that reduces the float voltage after 24 hours. This appears to conflict with the Firefly manual recommendations for extended float charging times. Should this feature be disabled to maintain 13.4 or 13.5 voltage during float charging? This should be disabled

Automatic Equalization - In the float mode, they have a return to absorption voltage to perform an equalization. The default setting is 1 hour every 7 days. Is this desired or should it be disabled or intervals adjusted. Disable

Battery Safe - This is an option to reduce the charge current when the battery voltage approaches set point for absorption. Enabled or disabled I would leave this disabled.

Hopefully you are familiar with the Victron options and have seen these questions before. Also I’d welcome any other Victron tips or tricks you may be aware of. Charlie, I think you should be all set. Just make sure you also entered the temp coefficient as listed in the manual. Regards, Tom

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ramsey avatar image Ramsey commented ·
Hi Charlie. just see your repsonse. Really helpfull thank you. Bit by bit a get a clearer picture. The reason why most of his answers where to disable function is because the firefly has its own restoration charge protocol done weekly or monthly depending on use and doesnt actually like to be float charged. Im happy to see equalization should be disabled because that was bothering me. havnt seen storage mode yet but will keep an eye out for it. also battery safe.

I found that setting float to 13.5 left my batteries on 13.7 at least thats what my bmv battery monitor said. I wrote and they said to simply check the voltage on the batteries and lower the setting on the mppt until the batteries reach 13.5

0 Likes 0 ·
charlie98117 answered ·

I have the same experience with the 13.5 float setting giving you 13.7. In my case it seems to be temp compensation. When connected with my MK-3 I did as they recommended, I lowered the setting until it was putting out 13.5 but then I noted the battery temp was at 15 C. 10 degrees at 24 mv/degree gives .24 volts = 17.54 so I put it back at 13.5. It still makes me nervous and I was going to followup with Firefly just to be sure. The distributor printed a warning on the receipt "The easiest way to damage these batteries it to have a high float voltage, they want 13.4 or 13.5". I'll let you know what I hear.

1 comment
2 |3000

great to read your comment. I dont get notification so I just check in every now and then. I didnt condiser temperature compensation. Would that work even without a temperature sensor or only with a sensor? currently I have my float set to 13.08V and its floating around 13.4v so I will keep nudging it up until it sits at almost 13,5 and keep an eye on it. THanks a lot Charlie. Will check in in some weeks and see if youve left an update
0 Likes 0 ·
charlie98117 answered ·

Sorry for the delayed response. I did get confirmation from Firefly techs that extended float at 13.7 is OK if it is the temp compensated value from a float setting of 13.5. If you are seeing the voltage increase from your setting there must be temp compensation happening. Do you have battery temp for your BMV?

1 comment
2 |3000

No I dont have a battery temp for my BMV. Somehow no matter how I set my victron app the actual voltage is always different. Great to know the batteries can sit at 13.7 also that really helps to know that, so I will adjust my higher warning limit to 13.8. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for taking a year to respond. I will check my temp compensation and my float settings and re study all the manuals to get it all right.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic