question

gsheehan1 avatar image
gsheehan1 asked

Victron Replacement for a Ring RSCDC30 Battery Charger

Hello,

I have a campervan currently which has a Ring RSCDC30 battery charger installed. Unfortunately the unit failed last week and I'm looking for a replacement. I was disappointed that the unit failed shortly after its one year warranty expired. As a result, I'm looking to replace it with Victron components.

At present my circuit is as follows: Van battery w/ smart alternator connected to the input of the Ring unit. Similarly, I have a 150W solar panel connected to the solar input of the Ring unit also. The output of the Ring unit is connected to 2x 115Ah 12V batteries connected in parallel and from the batteries I have outputs to a 12V fuse panel and Victron Phoenix 12/375 inverter.

Can someone advise what would be my best options to replicate the above set up using a Victron battery charger & MPPT solar controller? Thanks.

battery chargingMPPT SmartSolarOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Simplest is the Easysolar range, pre wired, integrated. Inside are the individual units you need.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gsheehan1 avatar image gsheehan1 commented ·
Thanks for the suggestion. From what I can see, all of the Easy Solar units are quite large. The Ring unit I had was the size of a small cereal box and fit very nicely under a bench in the camper van. Are there any Easy Solar options with that kind of size profile?
0 Likes 0 ·
gsheehan1 avatar image
gsheehan1 answered ·

Any other suggestions?

2 |3000

gsheehan1 avatar image
gsheehan1 answered ·

Hi, does anyone have other suggestions to solve my issue above? I'm looking to match the approximate footprint of the Ring unit I had. Thanks.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, missed your replies.

You could use separate components. Smart solar MPPT and Multiplus compact. Select the models based on voltage/current needs.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @GSheehan1

Victron don't make combo boxes like that, but my choice would be..

For the solar panel, a Smartsolar 75/10. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20_48V-EN.pdf

For the alternator, an Orion charger 12/12-30 (say). https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Orion-Tr-Smart-DC-DC-chargers-isolated-250-400W-EN.pdf

5 year warranty, Victron's best quality devices.

1 comment
2 |3000

gsheehan1 avatar image gsheehan1 commented ·

Hi John,

Thank you. I'll look around and see if I can find those in stock anywhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
gsheehan1 avatar image
gsheehan1 answered ·

Hi All,

I went ahead and purchased the Smartsolar 75/10 and the Orion-TR 12/12-30 isolated. In my haste, I never ordered the Smart version of the Orion and am kicking myself but its all installed now anyway.

I have the solar working as expected and being controlled through the app. I am using the below Li ion batteries as my leisure batteries but there is no information available from the manufacturer regarding charging voltages. Can someone recommend the best battery preset setting within the Victron app that I should use with the below batteries?

https://www.halfords.ie/camping-and-leisure/caravan-and-motorhomes/halfords-leisure-battery-hlb681-957217.html

Separately, I'm having issues with the Orion-TR 12/12-30. I have connected the + and - input from my van battery + and - and have the + and - output connected to my leisure battery network. I have a Dometic TCX35 fridge powered off the leisure batteries via a 12V connection. Last night I had an issue whereby the fridge seemed to drain the van battery itself and the van would not start this morning until it was jump started. It seems that the van battery continued to supply power to the leisure batteries overnight even though the van engine was off.

I see there is a remote switch connection on the Orion-TR 12/12-30 itself. If I want the unit to stop taking charge from the van battery once the engine has stopped running, is it necessary for me to use this switch input? The old Ring unit I had would automatically switch to solar MPPT only when the van engine was turned off but maybe the Victron units are different. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@GSheehan1

That's not a Li batt, looks like a pb. For the 75/10, just use one of the standard pb presets, maybe Gel(2), something with 14.4 Abs and 13.6-13.8V Float. Or make your own preset.

The non-smart Orions are called 'dc converters' by Victron. These can be set to output only a flat V, but this should still be ok in your application. A little hole on it's lower edge will take a tiny screwdriver, so adjust there to what you want. A multimeter useful doing this, but you might be able to use the 75/10's V reading if the solar is off and not interfering.

I have a 48/12 set to 13.5V, and it works well. Set just below the mppt Float V will give the solar priority.

The Orions will indeed drain the source battery. The remote switch is to automate the disconnection, like with engine shutdown. The manual very basic, but covers this.. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Orion-Tr-isolated-DC-DC-converters-EN-FR-NL-ES-IT-DE-.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
gsheehan1 avatar image gsheehan1 JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hi John,

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I've set the solar preset now to Gel2 so will see how that goes.

I saw the potentiometer on the Orion alright but hadn't played around with it. Do you have your Orion on a switch back to the van ignition circuit? I'll make the change to set it below the solar MPPT voltage. My only concern is that where I am (Ireland), we barely get any sun anyway and during the winter months especially, the solar is pretty useless. Unless its a fully clear day, I'm struggling to generate over 10W.

I'll see how it goes for me anyway. I'd prefer not to have to install another switch to automatically turn off the Orion when I park up but it might be necessary. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ gsheehan1 commented ·
@GSheehan1

Your Ring unit must have had some wire(s) to signal engine status. The Victron is much the same in that respect, and it's probably just a matter of reapplying existing wiring.

You asked what I do. Different setup entirely, pushing from solar system back to the engine batts (engines rarely run), switched from V status of solar via Multiplus. Manual override too. (You shouldn't have asked :) )

Don't fear this, it's simple stuff really. Disappointed to hear of your poor solar experiences, ask another question here if you think we might be able to help with that.

0 Likes 0 ·
gsheehan1 avatar image gsheehan1 JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi John,

Thanks again for the information. I think the Ring unit was designed for a smart alternator so is able to adjust the output depending on what voltage it senses at the van battery. My van has a smart alternator installed as it is from 2014. I have fitted a switch now to disable the Orion when parked up but I feel like I should just return it and convert to the Smart version. I see that the Smart version has the engine shutoff circuit built in.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Engine-on-detection-set-up-Orion-Tr-Smart-DC-DC-Charger-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources