question

Shane Terpstra avatar image
Shane Terpstra asked

Battery not reporting correctly

I have a strange issue, which is probably just me not knowing...

I have a BM-712 and MPPT 100 Solar Controller installed in my camper to a couple 165W solar panels. The system is basically wired like this (https://community.victronenergy.com/storage/attachments/4583-screen-shot-2019-07-29-at-93141-am.png) without the Color Controller. This past weekend, the voltage of the battery was reporting ~10V but the charge was showing 100%. When the sun came up and the solar started to work, the charge would go up throughout the day. I also used shore power through a generator to augment the charge. As soon as I unplugged the generator, the battery went back down to ~10-11V. I connected a NOCO trickle charger and it was at 25%.

Today, I pulled the battery out completely to recondition. The BM-712 showed 13V. The solar was still connected. I would have expected that, since the BM-712 is only monitoring the battery, it would show only battery voltage and not any solar charging. Of course once I turned off the solar breaker, the BM-712 went to zero.

My questions: How can I get the correct percentage to report on the BM-712 and why would a voltage show on the BM-712 with no battery connected?

battery chargingMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

"Of course once I turned off the solar breaker, the BM-712 went to zero."

Zero volts?? That would be a blown fuse/circuit breaker between battery and bus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Shane Terpstra avatar image
Shane Terpstra answered ·

There’s no battery hooked up so zero volts is what I would expect. The part I don’t expect is when there is no battery hooked up, MPPT on, the BM-712 is showing voltage. My understanding was that the BM should only display battery statistics, not solar statistics.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

"The part I don’t expect is when there is no battery hooked up, MPPT on, the BM-712 is showing voltage."

All perfectly normal, the mppt is a regulator after all.

Just dont expect the output of the mppt to be stable (without a battery) as clouds/loads come and go.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes