question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.70~19 available for testing

Hello all!

new version available for testing. But Iā€™m in a hurry and only on my phone, so this going to be a shorter post than normal. Two changes compared to v2.70~18.

1. fix tanks missing sometimes in the new tank overview page.

2. Fix wifi not being initialised on a fresh system. Mostly noticeable on raspberrypis.

with above, our todo list for v2.70 is empty (!).

so, if you see anything, please post a new answer below.

and for more details of what this is about, search for the v2.70~18 post.

Have a good weekend, Matthijs

Venus OS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark Maritz avatar image Mark Maritz commented Ā·
Any news on a drop date for v2.70 into production ;)
0 Likes 0 Ā·
5 Answers
gathman avatar image
gathman answered Ā·

@Matthijs Knollenburg AWESOME! Got 2.70~19 installed and wifi works out of the box and my Tank GX 140 is feeding live tank status! Love, love, love it! Thank you so much for all the hard work!screenshot-2021-06-12-160006.png

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gathman avatar image gathman commented Ā·
One thing to add. It seems my RPi3 with "official" touch screen doesn't let me set it to turn off. It used to be under Display and Language, but there is no entry now.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem gathman commented Ā·

You need to install (or reinstall) the dimming and blanking stuff after a Venus update. I've got a package for that:

https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiDisplaySetup

There have been instructions to add the calibration software but I found at least on the RPI4 it was already installed in Venus OS.

Search the community for Raspberry PI touchscreen should turn up other related posts some with install instructions.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

For those using my GuiMods and other packages, they have been updated to support v2.70~19. (The tanks system got a major overhaul in v2.70~16 which required changes in my mods.)

I've also added automatic updates to my packages for those that like to keep things up to date. That's done in SetupHelper for all packages.

2 comments
2 |3000

itsme avatar image itsme commented Ā·
Hey Kevin. Do you recommend to uninstall your mods before upgrading to versions higher than v2.70~16? Actually I'm running v2.70~11 on my "productive" system.

And by the way: Thank you very much for your great modifications. Same to the Team for all the improvements with tank overview and so on...

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem itsme commented Ā·
There is no need to uninstall. The setup scripts check for compatibility and will not install if it doesn't have the necessary resources.

There ARE changes in the GuiMods files for versions after ~11 so you'll find the mods weren't installed. You will need to do an update from GitHub to enable the mods again.

My recent changes will make it easier to accommodate future Venus versions with less effort from the user.

Thanks for using my mods and please comment here on the forum or on the GitHub repo if you have ideas for improvements or if you find issues.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

The new tanks system is great with one major limitation. The tank names use the dbus service's "description" and while descriptive doesn't make a good label for the tanks tile. The description is not available for editing with dbus-spy so we are stuck with names that spill off the end of the tile.

Most other devices have a custom name parameter so you can make the name more meaningful to a user. I believe it's essential to add custom naming to the new tanks system.

I did post this as another idea for improvements but wanted to mention it in the context of beta testing for this release.

It appears difficult to add custom names to Settings and have them track the tank services. I could edit TileTank.qml to use names based on fluid type that would be more suited to the overview pages, but doesn't address other issues.

Supporting multiple tanks with the same fluid type is no longer possible. RVs often have two waste (aka Gray) water tanks and I've seen boats with multiple fresh water and fuel tanks. There is facility to change the fluid type but doing so would end up with very similar names, differentiated only by a number at the end of the name which is often not visible on the overview. The need is to label one waste tank "Galley" or fuel tanks "Port fuel" and "Starboard Fuel" so the user can know which tanks are which without resorting to a piece of paper taped next to the Venus display.

I should note that this may only be an issue for NMEA2000 tanks.

2 comments
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·

No, see the other post, it is limited to SeaLevel tank sensors. All common users can simply change the tank name to whatever they prefer. Including the NMEA2000 tanks with a single instance.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem jeroen ā™¦ commented Ā·
Ok, so the issue is limited to SeeLevel.

That doesn't solve the problem of displaying useful information to the user.

Venus is already generating internal names for these tanks. It's just we can't change them. I seriously doubt that another display system would show the same tank names for the SeeLevel tanks.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Bug:

For NMEA2000 tanks, if the tank system is disconnected, some tank information disappears, but for other tanks, they switch to Fuel.

Then after reconnecting the tank system, all three of it's tanks show Fuel.

I would think the tank info should show "no response" or similar, or simply go away completely.

Venus needs to be rebooted to clear this fault.

More info:

Disabling CANbus in the menu and reenabling it also clears the fault.

Unplugging and replugging my USB CANbus interface (CANable USB) also clears the fault.

candump shows the same level of communications before shutting down the tank sensor (no fault) and after turning it back on (fault).

The same incorrect information is shown on the Mobile Overview and Tanks Overview.

Tank system: SeeLevel N2K

BTW, my previous report of unstable tank positions seems to have been fixed in the latest Venus version. Great!

2 |3000

offgridsolutions avatar image
offgridsolutions answered Ā·

Hi, ive been seeing Fronius inverters disconnecting and not reconnecting with out a reboot, it has been seen in the 2.70~18 & 19 but may have been on earlier versions too, I have just reverted to 2.66 and it reconnected straight away, but they may have been as it rebooted, I will keep and eye on it now back on 2.66 to see if its a beta issue

7 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Hi @offgridsolutions thank you for the report!

How often did it reconnect? Is it ok if we login to your system?

and, please install v2.70 again and then if possible let it run into its fault state and them leave it at that, so we can see it in the fault situation.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
offgridsolutions avatar image offgridsolutions mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Morning, it never reconnects seems to disconnect once a day mainly in the afternoon, then requires a reboot to get the Venus to reconnect

I will put 2.7 back on shortly and see if it does it again

Then Iā€™ll let you have a look

Regards shane

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ offgridsolutions commented Ā·

Hi again Shane, issue is now fixed and included in v2.71~1, see here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/92194/venus-os-v2711-available-for-testing.html

all the best, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark Maritz avatar image Mark Maritz mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Will you now skip release v2.70 and put v2.71 into production after testing?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Mark Maritz commented Ā·
yes
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mark Maritz avatar image Mark Maritz mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
0 Likes 0 Ā·
offgridsolutions avatar image offgridsolutions mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

Thanks Matthijs and Izak for your prompt support and glad to be of help testing, Shane

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources