question

mbad avatar image
mbad asked

How to calculate AC Loads value (not a Modbus parameter)

I try to optimize my energy usage in my home automation.

Therefore I'm reading Grid L1,L2,L3 (via EM24) + Battery data + Victron PV + External PV + Critical laods via Modbus.

That also works fine. The only problem is that AC Loads (AC-Lasten) seems to be calculated. Or do I oversee the correct Modbus register?

I tried to calculate the AC-Loads on my MP II 48/3kV in the following way (what is never precise):

First I need to know if the Battery is charged or discharged:

1. If Battery usage > 1 (postive) -> charging: Set "usable Victron PV power" to "PV Power Victron - Battery usage"

2. If Battery usage < 1 (negative) -> discharged: Set "usable Victron PV power" to "PV Power Victron + Battery usage * (-1)"

3. If "usable Victron PV power" > 2550 Watts then hard set to 2550 Watts (because I limited my Inverter to 2300 Watt net to feed in)

4. Calculate "usable Victron PV power" = "usable Victron PV power" * 0.9 because only roughly 90% of the Watts coming from battery can be really used by the Inverter (net to grid)

Secondly I tried to get the total usage in the System:

AC Loads = "usable Victron PV power" + "External PV Inverter" + "Sum of Grid (EM24)" - "Critical Loads"

The problem is AC loads are never correct calculated. I have sitautions where reality in Remote Control shows 300 Watt on AC Loads, but my calculation is even negative (e.g. -150). Then there are other situations where it fits roughly.

So any best practices to calculate AC Loads or is there even a modbus register that I have not seen?

Modbus TCPac out 2
1585818773763.png (1.1 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Keith Weinheimer avatar image Keith Weinheimer commented ·

I am also looking to read AC Loads from modbus

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Keith Weinheimer avatar image
Keith Weinheimer answered ·

I found register 817 is showing my AX Loads value. I have a single Quattro 5000

AC Consumption L1 817
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wolferl avatar image
wolferl answered ·

I have the same question, so sad that there is no answer until today...

@Keith Weinheimer The register 817-819 seem to be fine as long as you don't have a PV inverter on ACout...

2 |3000

casian-grama avatar image
casian-grama answered ·

grid power: slave: 100, address: 820
output power: slave: 227, address: 23
input power: slave: 227, address: 12

ac loads = grid power + pv-w - input power
critical loads = output power + pv-l power + battery power

2 |3000

Related Resources

Modbus TCP Basics

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic