question

jofach avatar image
jofach asked

Multiplus compact 12\1600\70 external cooling

Hi there, I have a multiplus compact i want to install in my boat.

The space available for me is a bit cramped, and not well ventilated, and i know it requires qute a lot of cooling.

im now thinking about watercooling. I can easily provide the unit with cool water. Anyone done this?

i want it to be quiet as well…

There are tons of cooling block solutions available out there so i wonder what components are in the most need of cooling?

I guess i can run the unit and measure myself, but just want to check if anyone done this alteady.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This would be interesting, but difficult to do I think.
The area which produces the most heat would be the Power Pack. This is either the module or the area of the main PCB where the power MOSFETs are. These MOSFETs are what drive the primary (low Voltage) winding of the output transformer.

A custom cooling block would need to be devised and fabricated which would conform to the existing layout of the MOSFETs on the module or PCB.

The existing internal cooling fan would need to be retained as other parts of the unit would still require forced cooling although to a lesser degree to the Power Pack.

Needless to say the warranty of the unit would be nullified, but also more importantly, all safety certifications would be useless as the unit only conforms to safely certifications as built.
Safety certifications and lawyers aside, the unit may actually be unsafe to operate with (salty) water flowing through it which may be prone to leaks which would "cascade" into several different kinds of nightmare scenarios.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.