question

robfield avatar image
robfield asked

Centaur Battery Charger switches to float too soon.

I have a centuar 12 VDC / 40A charger with a house battery bank of 300 Ah. When I start my generator the charger goes to approximately 50A and will continue to charge for approximately 30 - 60 minutes. The current at that time is approximately 35 A and than the charger switches to float prematurely in my mind. Batteries are not fully charged. I have checked and the charger did not seem too hot and the fans were still running. Is this the expected behavior? Thanks Rob.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

We would need to be advised the voltages that the batteries are getting to to be able to help

The bulk Absorption and float are basically all controlled by the voltage settings. and the battery type selected (If applicable).

These are all listed in the manual

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robfield avatar image
robfield answered ·

The battery setting is set to lead acid, dip switch 1 on and 2 and 3 off. The voltage is close to 14.2 and the current was around 30A. I checked the temperature of the charger and it was only warm not hot. Fans were still running as well. When I switched off the charger for a couple of minutes and than turned it back on it carried on in absorption for another 90 minutes until I shutdown the generator when the charger was at 10 A. Does this help?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic