question

Javier Pardo avatar image
Javier Pardo asked

Virtual Switch vs. ESS Assistant

Hello everyone, I would like to know my system a little better and I am investigating to find out which would be the best configuration option for my needs.

I currently have my system configured with the Virtual Switch function in "ignore dedicated AC input" mode.

Basically I have configured when I want my inverter to connect to the electrical grid and when I want the batteries to be disconnected when reaching a discharge limit. Nothing more.

I have never tried any of the wizards that are included in VE configure and I am curious if these wizards would allow me to do some things that I cannot do with the Virtual Switch.

In particular I am interested in the ESS assistant.

I have read information and documents on the Victron website about this wizard and I know that it is used for energy storage systems. In my case, I have several batteries to store energy during the day and that I use to charge the house at night.

My question is: Are there any benefits to using the ESS wizard that I don't have using the Virtual Switch?

Ve Configure does not let you use a wizard if you have the Virtual Switch activated, so I understand that each option must have its own characteristics. This is what I would like to know, what differences are there in using the Virtual Switch and the ESS assistant in practice.

As I have said before, I would like to know a little more about this and to know if I am really using the best option available.

Thank you very much in advance.

virtual switch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

If you dont want to feed Power back to the Grid or with 0w consumption in the Meter , Pv Inverters in your System or someone else in the Ac Out of your Multi ... I Think only the Assistant is the better choice ... You can also program a Soc Limit for connecting to the Grid ...

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Javier Pardo avatar image Javier Pardo commented ·

Hello Netrange, I do not want to feed power to the grid with the excess energy. I use my system for self-consumption.

With my current Virtual Switch configuration I am not feeding anything to the grid.

When the batteries are charged, the MPPTs stop producing power and are only limited to powering the loads. Nothing is feeding to the grid.

Is this not correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange Javier Pardo commented ·

Then ... In my oppinion ... You don't need ess ... Take the Assistant for the "offgrid" Solution with Loading Assistant for soc or batt Voltage to load your batt in Case of "Sunshineerror" ;)" ...

Take a look on your mppt parameters and everything Works fine ...

0 Likes 0 ·
Javier Pardo avatar image Javier Pardo netrange commented ·

Hello Netrange,

"Take the Assistant for the "offgrid" Solution with Loading Assistant for soc or batt Voltage to load your batt in Case of "Sunshineerror"

Can you explain this to me in more detail? You mean to use the assistant just in case you don't have enough sunlight one day?

So the day it was necessary, you would load this assistant, right? You mean this?

0 Likes 0 ·

... In your setup for the Multi is a menu for Setting the cases when your Multi should switch back to Grid ... or then later disconnect ...

By the Way ... How do you configure your Multi ... With mk3 configure or victron Connect ...

0 Likes 0 ·
Javier Pardo avatar image Javier Pardo netrange commented ·

I have no multi, I have a Quattro.

0 Likes 0 ·

I think the quattro has the same options anywhere in his menu ... Ist just a quattro

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE Configure/Virtual Switch

Ignore AC input using the Generator Assistant